Don’t Let Your Pet’s Health Fall This Fall!


Seasons change, and so do the needs of your pet. You’re definitely safe from the dangers of the summer heat, but when one exits, something else comes it: fall. Also called autumn, this season will be here in a matter of weeks. Depending on where you’re from, the leaves might start falling, and the winds will get stronger and stronger. Although your pet might like to jump on crunchy leaf piles, but there are a lot of risks that come in doing so.

Anyway, here are some of the dangers, along with some precautionary measures that you must employ this fall, especially if you consider yourself a responsible pet owner:

Beware of the leaves



Fall is the time wherein teenagers and kids are paid extra cash to extricate, pile up and store the leaves inside garbage bags. Anyway, if leaf-cleaning is too much of a chore for you, then it might be a good idea to let Fido out and play with the falling leaves, right? Actually, no. Regardless if you leave them alone or clean them up, there are quite a few instances that you should take note of:

• Accumulate dried leaves might contain pockets of bacteria and fungal growth, particularly mold. If your pet somehow ingests these leaves, it will cause diarrhea, vomiting and an upset stomach. As for inhaling mold spores, allergic reactions will occur.

• Leaf blowers might make the job easier to accomplish, but it causes a lot of noise, which can take a toll on your pet’s sensitive ears. It may cause the same reaction as the exploding fireworks during the 4th of July.

• Burning the leaves is bad for the environment, but some people still do it. If you’re doing this, make sure that your pet is far from the fire, so to prevent them from inhaling the smoke.

All in all, just keep your pet indoors if you’re doing yard work, as a safety measure.

Decreased daylight

If waking up during Daylight Saving’s Time is difficult, just think of the effects of losing an hour of daylight to your pet. This means that your evening walks might be done in utter darkness, while your morning walks are done before dawn. This can be rather confusing to pets: cases of unwary and confused pets getting hit or run over by vehicles increase during DST, according to PetMD. Try not to allow your pet to venture alone outdoors, and place updated identification tags and microchips on your pet.

Plants, poisons and mushrooms

Pets are like babies: they like putting stuff, even if they have no idea what these are, on their mouths, canines in particular. As you already know, there are dozens of pet poisons every season – the most notable ones during fall include:

• Chrysanthemum – this seasonally grows during autumn. Don’t let its appearance fool you, since ingesting it can cause your pet to have ataxia, bouts of vomiting and diarrhea.

• Mushrooms – fortunately, there are only a few wild mushrooms that are considered toxic, especially the ones growing in your yard. However, be wary, since they are hard to differentiate. You may not know it, but you might be looking at the notorious death cap, which is as menacing as drinking a cyanide-laced cola.

• Rat poison – fall is the time of the year when rats go into warmer areas and hibernate, making this substance a necessity. Although it effectively kills these rodents, it can kill your pet as well. Make sure to place these in areas that are completely inaccessible to Fido and Mr. Tibbles.

• Antifreeze – as early as now, you could be preparing for the winter, which is why you’re taking out the antifreeze. This is made from ethyl glycol, a sweet smelling and tasting substance that your pet might find palatable. However, a few licks of this chemical can kill, so be sure to store it for now and save it for the winter!

Considering that you need to loosen up your pet’s waistline during fall (because it won’t get enough exercise during winter), beware of the above mentioned hazards. Take extra precautionary measures and never, ever leave your pet unattended!

Featured Image Credit:

Leave a Comment