Dogs and Halloween: Poisons and Other Concerns

featuredimage

It’s that time of the year where you will see people dressing up as witches, warlocks, superheroes, fairies, zombies and demons: all guaranteed to spook you and your canine friend. Jokes aside, although some dogs are not scared costumed humans, there are scary scenarios that could make your heart skip a beat. There’s a lot of things to be concerned about this season, and making sure that your canine companion doesn’t get into trouble is one of your responsibilities as a dog owner. So, time to know what these are and learn how to prevent them from happening.

German Shepherd

Photo Credit: thelocahound(dot)com

Getting poisoned because of candy

If Paul the pitbull will have his way, he will definitely gorge on anything he deems edible, like your leather shoes, car keys, billiard balls (yes, dogs have swallowed these objects) and the candy on the treat bowl. Although the last object does not seem to be entirely life threatening unlike the others, eating multiple candy bars will mandate the services of the best veterinarian in your locality. Why? Well, Paul could get poisoned, and here are some factors that may cause it:

  • First off is chocolate. Giving this sweet, made-from-heaven treat is common during Halloween, given that it’s a mainstay in treat bowls. If Paul somehow gets his paw on these munchies, don’t wait – drive to the vet immediately. Vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and seizures will happen if he ingests it, so be sure to keep the bowl out of reach from his snout!
  • Sugar overload! Large candy consumption can make Paul experience pancreatitis, along with diarrhea and lethargy. Even if you don’t have chocolate on the bowl, keep it off his paws – these treats are meant for humans, not canines!
  • The wrappers. If Paul eats candy, he doesn’t bother removing the wrapper – he’ll eat it. Plastic, foil and cellophane wrappers will cause intestinal obstruction, which is potentially fatal. Surgical intervention could be necessary in cases like this.
  • Xylitol. If you’re a dentist, then you could be stocking up on artificially sweetened candy in order to do the kids around the neighborhood service. However, if Paul takes a bite off several xylitol-sweetened candy, you could find yourself praying over him in the veterinary ER.

Keep in mind that if Paul the pitbull ate candy, seeing him vomit and display other complications won’t be a far off possibility. Immediately consult the vet!

Trick or treating kids

Pitbull

Photo Credit: puplife(dot)com

Let’s keep this straight: it is important to keep pets restrained if regardless if you’re going out trick or treating with it, or if you’re dishing out candy to kids through the front door. Cases of kids being bitten during Halloween is a common occurrence: some dogs may not take it lightly when a child invades their owners’ property, which could render them to behave aggressively. Be sure to keep Paul the pitbull behind you at all times, and signal him to stay or keep still whenever a kid steps to the front porch. That being said, it’s always best to keep him in a leash, on a muzzle, especially if he has unpredictable tendencies.

Overall, if Paul is ok with and likes to be around people, time to make him put him in a loose and non-restrictive costume and let him enjoy Halloween! Keep the spooky spirit alive and don’t forget to call your vet if an emergency arises!

Leave a Comment